Wilmette Police note road, parking restrictions for July 3
Wilmette police this week reminded people who plan to take in July 3 Independence Day 2012 festivities at Gillson Park that parking restrictions and street closures could affect those plans.
As in previous years, several roads near Gillson will close at 6 p.m. and reopen about 10:30 p.m. Those include:
• Sheridan Road between Lake and Isabella Avenues. (Southbound vehicles will detour at Lake, and go west to Green Bay Road. Northbound traffic will detour at Isabella and head west to Poplar Drive);
• The 700 and 800 blocks of Michigan Avenue;
• 4th Street between Lake and Central Avenues;
• Washington and Central Avenues east of 4th Street will be closed;
• Greenleaf, Linden and Maple Avenues east of 3rd Street will be closed;
• 3rd Street will be closed for northbound traffic at Greenleaf.
Public parking will be available at the Gillson Park beach lot, but police said the lot is normally full by 4 p.m. July 3. There will also be legal parking on side streets west of 5th Street and at the CTA Linden lot.
Limited handicapped parking will be available there as well. Handicap drop-off and pick-up will be available at the Gillson beach house. Police said signs directing cars to the pick-up and drop-off zone will be posted along Lake west of Sheridan, Sheridan north of Lake, Forest Avenue east of Sheridan and along Michigan Avenue south of Forest.
Police recommended parking for free at Edens Plaza or at the Metra lot on Green Bay road, and using the Pace shuttle to get to and from festivities. The shuttle costs $3.50 to the park (children and valid Circuit Ride Free Permit holders ride for free.) There is no cost for shuttles leaving the park; a ticket will simply be issued. Passengers should have exact fare – dollar bills are accepted – and should watch for the marked loading areas at the park for the return trip, police said.